Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Education: The Good Fight

As an educator and as a former teacher, I've had numerous occasions to be horrified by declining standards and P.C. nonsense.

Well, here is some good news. I've been working on a Renaissance Art lesson plan for high-risk students in an urban district and I gave my employer an option: Students can base their project around Renaissance Values (humanism, for example) or they can base it around artists.

Obviously, it is a lot easier to research an artist and identify paintings by that artist than to research a "value" and identify paintings that reflect that value.

Well, my employer chose the values. In my opinion, this is cause for celebration because:

(A) it is the more challenging lesson plan.

and

(B) it emphasizes core Renaissance values that form part of the foundations of Western Civilization.

See? I don't just complain!