Monday, April 18, 2005

USA Freedom Corps Director Discusses Volunteerism in America

During a party my senior year of a college, a member of a liberal organization approached me, looking perplexed.

He said, "I heard you won a community service award."

Me: Why do you look surprised?

Him: I thought you were a conservative.

??? I suppose my heart wasn't bleeding enough to meet his definition of a volunteer.

Volunteerism is near and dear to my heart and, I think, the hearts of many conservatives and Republicans. Democrats think we are cruel because we want to cut government programs that benefit the poor. The truth is, though, that we don't intend to leave hard-working, honest people who have fallen on hard times high and dry. Conservatives just believe that private organizations can handle these needs more efficiently and effectively.

Part of the recent success of the Republican Party has been to regain the moral high ground. The party does this not by harping on non-issues (like the gender of who is in someone's bed) but by appealing to our better sides.

So, it is with mixed emotions that I read this article: USA Freedom Corps Director Discusses Volunteerism in America. To what extent should the government promote volunteerism?

I am of two (at least) minds on this one. Volunteering is good for the soul and I do believe that, as human beings, we have responsibilities towards one another. I also believe that service to one's country gives a citizen a sense of ownership. At the same time, if it is mandatory or paid (as in the Army or teaching or AmeriCorps or Peace Corps), it isn't really volunteering. At the same time, service requirements or guidelines can still provide a sense of ownership and may encourage those who serve to volunteer once their service is complete.

One the other hand, I abhor the New Deal and believe that government involvement drives away private charity, philanthropy and volunteerism. People say, "Isn't that why I pay taxes?"

So, can the government get involved in promoting volunteerism and service without harming private service initiatives? Is this something the government should touch at all?

Thoughts?

I leave you with these links and encourage you to volunteer your time, regardless of your political affiliation:

Bureau of Labor Statistics - 2004 Report on Volunteerism - This report does not show a political affiliation breakdown--anyone seen one?

Freedom Corps - Latest government foray into our personal lives or valuable tool to encourage personal responsibility? Either way, find out about how the government is promoting volunteerism.

Servenet and Volunteer Matchmatch you with local service opportunities.

Serviceleader has tips for new and experienced volunteers and volunteer leaders.

Just for the ladies: The Junior League.