Tuesday, April 12, 2005

So, why don't I go back to teaching?

I am a teacher and right now I work from home. The reasons why are probably something I'm going to struggle with in this blog.

For starters, did you know that every time I move (which us army wives do often) I have to get a whole new series of certifications?

That usually entails application fees, test fees, and licensing fees... which will run you about $150-200 for a single certification, more if you want multiple certifications. Then there are the hours you spend getting fingerprinted, taking the tests, and filling out paperwork.

Of course, education is a local and state issue and should remain that way. At the same time, we are experiencing a shortage of teachers in many areas of the nation. Wouldn't streamlining the process bring at least some more teachers into teaching AND save money?

For example, one of the tests most states require is a BASIC LITERACY TEST! Gee, I have my SAT scores, my two Ivy-League degrees, my GRE scores, 5 years worth of teaching experience, and test results from two other states... but every time I move the state wants PROOF that I can READ AND WRITE!!!

Sorry if I got a bit agitated there. Seriously, the only way to know for sure if someone can teach is to put them in a classroom. Why not accept any one of a dozen tests to prove a baseline of intelligence and then leave it up to the individual school districts as to who they think is qualified to teach.

The cost and certification aggravation aren't the only reasons I'm unsure I want to step foot back in the chalkboard jungle. I'll discuss the other two big reasons in more depth another time but I'll give you a hint (it isn't the kids) and two guesses.