Friday, May 06, 2005

Some More Thoughts on Teaching Tolerance

Whenever I am confused about something, I consult the wisest man I know... my husband.

Imagine my pleasant surprise when I see that Josie/ and another reader (to whom I would link but I can't read your profile!) both shared similar points.

What the school should do is provide books that address tolerance in general--like the Dr. Seuss classic, "The Sneetches" (also good for discouraging excessive plastic surgery--ha, ha).

We really don't need to make an issue of sex for kids that young. If they are precocious and ready to discuss such issues, it should be the domain of the parents.

At the same time, the community should have the ultimate say as to what goes into the curriculum. I still say we can't have individual parents making a laundry list of demands.