Friday, April 29, 2005

STOP SPEEDING!

You made it back from Bagdad--don't kill yourselves here.

If any military or military spouses are reading this, we really need to do something. Picking up my husband last night, I noticed that the sign indicating days since traffic fatalities was back down to 3.

The sign flashes red when we've had recent traffic fatalities, yellow when some time has passed since the last traffic fatality, and theoretically it flashes green when we're doing well--I'm not sure because in the time I've been here I've only seen yellow once and never green.

We're losing more of our soldiers back here than we did in Iraq. I understand that this problem is not unique to soldiers--18 to 25 year old men are especially likely to be involved in fatal crashes. Still, this is the group of 18-25 year old men who are in my community and it makes me especially sad that these soldiers, many of whom have served our nation so honorably, are dying in such a stupid and preventable way.

I'm at a loss of what to recommend. We recently had a very bad accident here and the soldiers were shown a heart-rending video. Apparently this normally jovial group sat in stunned silence. Two days later, two idiots drag raced right passed me.