Monday, August 01, 2005

When's the Islamic Conference on Defeating Terrorism?

Engineer Summit Focuses on Reconstruction

BAGHDAD, Iraq, July 29, 2005 — The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Gulf Region Division sponsored an engineer summit July 26 in the Al Rasheed Hotel in the International Zone. Approximately 120 coalition engineers attended.

The United States spends countless man hours, billions of dollars, and thousands of lives on making Iraq work. Yeah, I know it is also in our own self interest... but that doesn't really bother me.

So, my question is--when will there be a major effort within Islam to counter terrorists? I understand that Islam is not a centralized religion. I also respect the basic ideals of Islam. Still, I ask, when will some of the most popular Islamic leaders gather to confront the problem of terrorism?

Even if you do not agree with the war, it seems pretty obvious that the US is trying to help create a prosperous, free, democratic Iraq. What are the goals of the extremists? Given that disparity, how can anyone support them?